Annette Quinn, Head of Operations & Impact
A key strand of our programme is providing focussed EdTech to support the varied literacy curriculums in the countries where we operate. For this reason, we seek apps:
- in various languages inc: Spanish, Arabic, English, as well as 11 African languages* that are spoken across our South African project schools;
- that offers clear alignment to our national curriculums;
- that include diversity in terms of aiding children with literacy support needs;
- that inspires independent reading;
- that promotes creative thinking.
By providing apps with some of the aforementioned features, in particular local languages and aligned to national curriculums (in the areas of our operation), we are able to provide better aid to our project schools who are affected by lack of resources.
Considering our world’s most disadvantaged children, literacy is the key to the door to a more meaningful, multifaceted and comprehensive education. It is also a gateway to opportunity and prosperity. Literacy helps increase the life chances of a child born into poverty.
The Breteau Foundation’s doors are always open to publishers who have great literacy apps. So, please knock, as we are on the look-out for innovative and well tested literacy apps.
*Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern
Sotho, Sotho, Swazi, Tswana,
Venda, Xhosa Zulu